“Orange strengthens your emotional body, encouraging a general feeling of joy, well-being, and cheerfulness.” – Tae Yun Kim
Who doesn’t love a delicious and juicy orange as a snack? They are popular with athletes because they can be easily eaten for a burst of energy. I enjoy drinking a glass of freshly squeezed roange juice for breakfast every morning for that same energy-boosting effect.
- Helps Prevent Cancer
Oranges are rich in citrus limonoids, proven to help fight a number of varieties of cancer including that of the skin, lung, breast, stomach and colon.
2. Prevents Kidney Diseases
Drinking orange juice regularly prevents kidney diseases and reduces the risk of kidney stones.
3. Reduces Risk of Liver Cancer
According to two studies in Japan eating mandarin oranges reduces liver cancer. This may be due in part to vitamin A compounds known as carotenoids.
- Boosts Heart Health
Oranges are full of potassium, an electrolyte mineral is responsible for helping the heart function well. When potassium levels get too low, you may develop an abnormal heart rhythm, known as an arrhythmia.
- Lowers Risk of Disease
Oranges are full of vitamin C which protects cells by neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals cause chronic diseases, like cancer and heart disease
- Fights Against Viral Infections
Studies show that the abundance of polyphenols in oranges protects against viral infections.
- Relieves Constipation
Oranges are full of dietary fiber which stimulates digestive juices and relieves constipation.
- Helps Create Good Vision
Oranges are rich in carotenoid compounds which are converted to vitamin A and help prevent macular degeneration.
- Regulates High Blood Pressure
The flavonoid hesperidin found in oranges helps regulate high blood pressure and the magnesium in oranges helps maintain blood pressure.
- Protects Skin
Oranges are full of beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant protecting the cells from being damage which also protects the skin from free radicals and prevents the signs of aging.
- Oranges Alkalize the Body
Although oranges are acidic before you digest them, they contain many alkaline minerals that help to balance out the body after they are digested. In this respect, they are similar to lemons which are one of the most alkaline foods available.
- Provides Smart Carbs:
Oranges like all fruits have simple sugars in them, but the orange has a glycemic index of 40. Anything under 55 is considered low. This means as long as you don’t eat a lot of oranges at one time, they won’t spike your blood sugar and cause problems with insulin or weight gain.
Oranges have so many benefits they are considered a Powerfood.
They have a wealth of nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin A precursors, calcium, potassium, and pectin. For a complete list of its nutrients and calories go to calories in an orange.
Interesting Orange Facts:
- Oranges are the largest citrus crop in the world.
- Brazil produces more oranges than any other country.
- About 25 billion oranges are grown each year in America.
- In the 18th Century British sailors took citrus fruits on the ships to prevent scurvy.
- Florida produces about 70 percent of the total U.S. crop, and 90 percent of its production goes to make juice.
- In Queen Victoria’s day, oranges were given as Christmas gifts in England.
- Did you know that the color orange came from the orange fruit?
- Orange is the world’s third favorite flavor after chocolate and vanilla.
- Just so yummy!